When it’s time to reap and butcher our homestead-raised pigs, we need to know get probably the most out of a pig carcass. In any case our work elevating them, there must be no waste to talk of, proper? And pigs are particularly versatile meat animals. Because the previous saying goes, there’s a use for “every thing however the squeal.”
However discovering how all these components are most helpful on your farm isn’t only a matter of wanting up conventional or particularly ingenious charcuterie recipes.
What if your loved ones simply isn’t keen to eat blood pudding? Suppose paté doesn’t enchantment to you? Or the considered a roast boar’s head on the dinner desk doesn’t make you need to quit your Christmas turkey?
To not fear. “There are many methods to pores and skin a cat,” as Shawn’s grandfather used to say. And there are lots of methods to honor and respect an entire pig carcass with out making your self eat grilled kidneys.
Learn extra: Be taught the hows, whys and whens of pastured pigs.
Breaking It Down
Butchering days are all the time celebratory on our farm. There’s numerous work concerned. The sheer quantity might be intimidating. However today means the freezer and smoke home will as soon as once more be filled with the required supplies for a lot of of our favourite meals:
- pork roasts to grace our sauerkraut
- thick, juicy chops to grill over a wooden fireplace
- spicy herbed sausage or savory bacon to go along with our morning eggs and potatoes
Sure, we like to see the fruits of our wholesome farm ecosystem harvested and saved for feeding our household.
Many of the carcass break-down is routine—hams and shoulders, bellies and chops, hocks and all the assorted roasts. Some organ meats could pose a problem, although.
And what about all these bones and the actually bony components, like the pinnacle? That is the place we’ve to start out making selections.
Your first step ought to most likely be analysis. There are some glorious guides on the market for making accountable and scrumptious use of each final scrap of no matter you butcher. Our private favorites are:
When we’ve a query about any of our personal practices, these are the sources we use. However there’s a lot of meat curing data out there on the market today. We encourage you to go searching.
Protecting It on the Farm
Within the precise world of our farms and homesteads, actual appetites, meals preferences and chores have to steadiness with honor for the pig carcass we harvest and butcher. When it’s time to maneuver on to the subsequent homestead job, listed below are some good fallbacks for finishing a respectful harvest, figuring out you might have used each final scrap of your pig:
- All these esoteric organs—pancreas, spleen, lungs and so forth–might be floor and added to your poultry ration. A fist-sized lump of miscellaneous floor meat per 5 birds will give an excellent increase of protein of their weight loss program. And this interprets into extra eggs.
- Bones stripped of accessible meat (trim meat goes for sausage) are the premise for glorious broth. Roast the bones, simmer and might up the outcomes. Don’t neglect the heads and toes. Your cooking reaches new heights with loads of good broth to work with. Burying the cooked bones within the compost pile returns phosphorus to the soil.
- Be taught to wash intestines for sausage casings. It’s not tough or harmful, and also you’ve by no means had a extremely top-notch sausage till you’ve had it in a pure casing.
- There isn’t a such factor as an excessive amount of lard, so don’t waste a single scrap of that good pig fats. Operating it by way of the grinder earlier than rendering means much less cracklings, however extra lard. So swimsuit your self.
Harvesting your individual pigs at house is yet another approach to preserve assets on the farm. The worth of the butcher, meat itself and all the opposite bits and scraps (which might be misplaced to us if we despatched our pig to the abbatoir) can all keep at dwelling and bless the household, the crops and animals, and the soil.
So sharpen up your finest knives and prepare to butcher your pig meat. You’ll find that you simply do, certainly, use “every thing however the squeal.”