What is the buzz? Yow will discover out on the California Honey Pageant. That is Wendy Mather of the California Grasp Beekeeper Program. (Photograph by Kathy Keatley Garvey)
It is all the thrill!
The California Honey Pageant, set Saturday, Could 7 from 10 a.m. to five p.m. in downtown Woodland, will give attention to honey, bees, crops and pollination.
“UC Davis may have a slimmed down model this 12 months,” mentioned Amina Harris, director of the UC Davis Honey and Pollination Heart on the Robert Mondavi Institute, and a co-founder of the occasion. Launched in 2017, the Honey Pageant hasn’t been held since 2019 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Among the occasions on faucet Saturday:
- The UC Davis Honey and Pollination Heart will showcase its honey tasting wheel and supply free honey tasting.
- The California Grasp Beekeeper Program will employees two instructional cubicles. Guests can study a bee statement hive, take a look at the beekeeping gear and peer by way of microscopes. Youngsters’ actions are additionally deliberate.
- The Bohart Museum of Entomology of the UC Davis Division of Entomology and Nematolgoy will showcase bee range in its specimen drawers. Its reside “petting zoo” will embody Madagascar hissing cockroaches and stick bugs (strolling sticks) that folk can maintain, mentioned Tabatha Yang, training and outreach coordinator.
- The UC Davis Arboretum and Public Backyard will deal with pollinator wants and gardening.
- The Woodland Public Library will supply a youngsters’s studying hour.
- Uncle Jer’s Touring Bee Present will present instructional performances.
- The UC Davis Bookstores sales space will comprise honey, books, and different items on the market.
- Guests can don a bee costume and get their image taken within the UC Davis Pollination Park, a collaboration with the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Backyard.
Harris mentioned the pageant will embody reside music, a beer and mead backyard, and about 100 distributors promoting all the things from meals to crops to arts and crafts. Admission to the pageant is free. The primary pageant drew some 30,000 guests.
An after-party is deliberate at The Hive, owned by Z Specialty Meals, Woodland. Advance registration is required. Entry https://zspecialtyfood.com/occasion/california-honey-festival-after-party/
(Word: This 12 months the UC Davis Bee Haven, operated by the UC Davis Division of Entomology and Nematology, will not be capable of take part attributable to scheduling conflicts, mentioned educational program administration supervisor Christine Casey.)