A world seminar chronicling the 70-year historical past of Nationwide Council for Scientific and Technological Improvement (CNPq), the Brazilian equal of the Nationwide Science Basis, will highlight a collection of scientists, together with UC Davis scientists, in a keynote lecture by UC Davis distinguished professor Walter Leal.
The hybrid occasion, organized by the Brazilian Academy of Sciences and CNPq and that includes the keynote lecture and 5 spherical tables, is about April 26-27. Registration is underway at https://kinds.gle/QKhrbfp7gNuYLUDY8. The seminar, in Portuguese with English translations, might be dwell on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytBA4OA9aOc.
Leal, a corresponding member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences and a local of Brazil, is a distinguished professor with the Division of Molecular and Mobile Biology, Faculty of Organic Sciences, and former chair of the Division of Entomology, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences. In his keynote lecture, Leal will name consideration to the CNPq-UC Davis program, “Science with out Borders,” which he helped launch 10 years in the past to help undergraduate, graduate college students and postdoctoral research at UC Davis.
Leal’s hybrid presentation (half recorded and half dwell) will give attention to three “Science With out Border” college students whose training at UC Davis performed a important function in launching their careers. One is now an assistant professor at Penn State; one other is a knowledge scientist at a Brazilian college; and the third is an entrepreneur. “And one among them met her husband at UC Davis,” Leal associated.
UC Davis distinguished professor Bruce Hammock
Within the recorded a part of the seminar:
- UC Davis Chancellor Gary Might will congratulate CNPq within the identify of UC Davis, which homes practically 100 college with skilled hyperlinks to Brazil.
- UC Davis distinguished professor Bruce Hammock, the 35-year director of the federally funded UC Davis Superfund Analysis Program (SRP) (and who holds a joint appointment with the Division of Entomology and Nematology and the Complete Most cancers Middle), will talk about the historical past of SRP and his dedication to internet hosting many Brazilian college students, postdocs, and different collaborators.
- UC Irvine distinguished professor Anthony James, professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, who collaborates with UC Davis professor Greg Lanzaro of the College of Veterinary Medication, will talk about how philanthropy helps to form present vector biology analysis.
- World-renowned economist Jose Scheinkman of Brazil, who acquired an early profession scholarship that formed his profession path to the College of Chicago, Princeton, and now Columbia College, will talk about how CNPq performs a key function within the Brazilian scientific economic system and its coaching of scientists.
- John Wingfield, distinguished emeritus professor, UC Davis Division of Neurobiology, Physiology and Habits, Faculty of Organic Sciences, and former head of the Directorate of Organic Sciences on the Nationwide Science Basis (NSF), will share info on how NSF operates.
Different members will embrace Sally Rockey, inaugural government director of the Basis for Meals and Agriculture Analysis; Sonny Ramaswamy, former administrator of the Nationwide Institute of Meals and Agriculture; Professor John Hildebrand, Worldwide Secretary of the Nationwide Academy of Sciences; Daniel Mucida, head of the Laboratory of Mucosal Immunology at Rockefeller College; Nantel Suzuki, program government of NASA’s Human Touchdown System; and Scott Hutchins, former Deputy Beneath Secretary of Agriculture.
Brazilian biomedical scientist Helena Nader might be inaugurated subsequent month as the primary feminine president within the 106-year-history of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences.