Hear that buzz? See these bees? Style that honey?
A newly emerged employee bee. (Picture by Kathy Keatley Garvey)
When the California Honey Pageant takes place Saturday, Could 7 from 10 a.m. to five p.m. in downtown Woodland, you may hear the thrill, see the thrill, and pattern honey.
The competition, launched in 2017–and by co-founder Amina Harris, director of the UC Davis Honey and Pollination Heart on the Robert Mondavi Institute–aims to encourage “individuals of all ages to guard and have a good time bees and different pollinators.” Admission is free.
“UC Davis may have a slimmed down model this yr,” stated Harris. A few of the occasions on faucet Saturday:
- The UC Davis Honey and Pollination Heart will showcase its honey tasting wheel and supply free honey tasting.
- The California Grasp Beekeeper Program will workers two instructional cubicles. Guests can look at a bee commentary hive, try the beekeeping tools and peer by microscopes. Children’ actions are additionally deliberate.
- The Bohart Museum of Entomology of the UC Davis Division of Entomology and Nematolgoy will showcase bee range in its specimen drawers. Its reside “petting zoo” will embrace Madagascar hissing cockroaches and stick bugs (strolling sticks) that folk can maintain, stated Tabatha Yang, training and outreach coordinator.
- The UC Davis Arboretum and Public Backyard will deal with pollinator wants and gardening.
- The Woodland Public Library will supply a youngsters’s studying hour.
- Uncle Jer’s Touring Bee Present will present instructional performances.
- The UC Davis Bookstores sales space will comprise honey, books, and different items on the market.
- Guests can don a bee costume and get their image taken within the UC Davis Pollination Park, a collaboration with the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Backyard.
Harris stated the competition will embrace reside music, a beer and mead backyard. Some 100 distributors will promote every thing from meals to crops to arts and crafts. The primary competition drew some 30,000 guests.
An after-party is deliberate at The Hive, a part of Z Specialty Meals, Woodland. Harris, the “Queen Bee” of Z Specialty Meals, stated advance registration is required. Entry https://zspecialtyfood.com/occasion/california-honey-festival-after-party/.